April 7 Update
Pemi Families and Friends,
In this uncertain, unprecedented time, some things remain firm and constant, none of them more important than our commitment to our mission and to the welfare of the broad Pemi community.
As Parent Questionnaires have started to pour in, many of you have wondered if Pemi might not open this summer, while at the same time telling us how hopeful you and your boys are that the 2020 season will take place. Indeed, your boys are also “our boys,” and we share both your questions and your hopes, especially as we head into these next few weeks, which should be telling. With the promise of transparency for our families and with a great hope of being able to provide all of the benefits a summer at Pemi will bring to your sons, we are taking all the steps necessary to determine the best path forward for the 2020 season. The health and safety of our extended camp family—our campers, parents, alumni, staff, vendors, suppliers, and our Wentworth neighbors—remain central to every conversation.
Since our previous communication, the Pemi Board of Directors met by Zoom last weekend to consider the prospect of Pemi 2020, drawing on thoughts gleaned from a small focus group of parents convened earlier in the week. Among the many topics related to current challenges, we looked at the calendar to consider key dates for upcoming decisions. We anticipate having significantly more information on May 4, after the New Hampshire stay-at-home order has been reconsidered by Governor Sununu. We expect to be able to make an announcement soon thereafter regarding whether we will be able to welcome our First Session and Full Session boys on June 27, or if we will have to consider alternatives.
Despite the uncertainties that will take clearer shape in the coming weeks, we are preparing for the season with all of our efforts going towards identifying and creating the infrastructure that must be in place for us to consider opening safely and that can be dependably maintained throughout the season. For Pemi, this means not only proceeding with the preparations that always occurs in April and May —staff hiring and contracts, opening and preparing the grounds after the long winter, processing forms, and staff onboarding and training throughout June—but also planning and implementing the additional protocols, staff hires, supply purchases, and facilities that could be required to operate in the time of Covid-19. Predictably, these additional concerns and requirements are augmented daily as we monitor the evolving situation and engage with our many resources.
For parents, however, we know that an important immediate question concerns payments and refunds. Here is what we can tell you at this time…
Withdrawal deadline extended: We’re extending the traditional May 1 “withdrawal” deadline to June 1, to enable and encourage families to stay enrolled until further information is available. This means that you may still request a full refund of your tuition until June 1, by which time we certainly will have clarity on the summer.
Freezing tuition payments: The next scheduled payment for our families is April 15, but at this time it makes sense to delay the next payment date for tuition until later in the spring.
Please know that in the event that a camp session must be cancelled, we will provide timely notice and anticipate offering families a number of options, including but not limited to:
* Re-enrollment in a special, modified 2020 session (if we go this route)
* Roll-over of your 2020 deposit to 2021
* Roll-over of paid tuition to the 2021 season
* Full refund (including deposit)
* Gifting a chosen amount to Camp Pemigewassett
Our next scheduled email update will be on or about April 21. Then, or earlier, we anticipate distributing a survey for parents to provide us with more information to help us in our planning as we consider some possible outcomes. As a reminder, should you miss one of our direct email communications, they will be posted on our blog.
As always, thank you for your support, your understanding, and your commitment to Camp Pemigewassett. Just as we weathered the Spanish Flu in 1918 and viral pneumonia in 1942, we will get through this Covid-19 pandemic!
In the meantime, as we do the right thing by hunkering down in our individual homes, our appreciation for community and connection—the simple pleasures of singing, playing, living, and learning together—grows stronger by the day. Until we are next in touch, let us know if we can help in any way.
As always, good luck, long life, and joy!
Danny Kerr, Director
Kenny Moore, Director
Tom Reed, Jr., Board President