“Social distancing at its finest!”
Though COVID-19 dealt a blow to our traditional summer, we are excited to launch our inaugural family camp program. Since 1908, boys from across the USA and around the world have come to Pemi to live and play together in close proximity, away from their parents and under supervision of our staff. Although that’s not possible this summer, the silver lining is the opportunity to welcome families who have been spending these past several months at home to relocate their “togetherness” to Pemi’s stunning setting. Reserve an individual cabin for your family and, with an emphasis on simple living, enjoy fresh and delicious meals, participate in activities such as hiking, casual sports, kayaking, biking, and more, and spend some restorative time with your own family members and with others on Pemi’s grounds with space aplenty to ensure social distancing at its finest!
Running this program will be contingent upon the current and updated recommendations of the federal, state, and local government, and also on Pemi’s determination that we have been able to staff the program in ways that fully meet all health and safety needs.
Please note, due to COVID-19, we won’t be able to provide childcare while adults are elsewhere on camp grounds. Instead, this is an opportunity for families to be together in a new, relaxing setting. Once on site, families will be encouraged to remain at Pemi throughout their stay.
As of now, registration is open to families within a day’s driving distance from camp, with no public transportation involved. If a longer journey is required for your family to get to Pemi, we may be able to accommodate you if your family can be tested prior to arrival. Please contact Danny at [email protected] to discuss your options. Please note, that this may change in accordance with local and state regulations.
Confirmation emails will be sent within a few days after you submit your registration. We will let you know as soon as possible if there is no availability for the week that you have chosen.
Each stay includes your family cabin, use of camp facilities (some limitations apply due to COVID-19), three meals a day plus snacks, and light programming that individual family units can choose to do. Families may register for one week or for consecutive weeks in the same cabin. Each cabin space can only be occupied by an individual family* defined as those who have been living in the same home together for the two weeks preceding their registered session. This can also include anyone outside the family who has been living with them in their home during that time period, and partners, roommates, or housemates who have been living in the same home together for the two weeks preceding their registered session.
Week 1: Sunday July 19 – Sat 25
Week 2: Sunday July 26 – Sat Aug 1
Week 3: Sunday Aug 2 – Sat Aug 8
Week 4: Sunday Aug 9 – Sat Aug 15
Week 5: Sunday Aug 16 – Sat Aug 22
Arrival on Sunday between 3pm and 6pm (let us know if you’ll be later than this).
Departure on Saturday, after breakfast, by 11AM.
ACCOMMODATIONS AND RATES
Because of the unique circumstances of COVID-19, there will be no more than 8-12 cabins / houses in use during any week (depending on the number of people in each). While you can request a certain cabin, we cannot make any promises as, this year in particular, we need flexibility to provide adequate spacing throughout the divisions.
Cabins. The base price for each cabin is $2000 per week for 2 family members, to include at least one adult. Each additional family member age 5 and older is $500. At minimum, your cabin will have:
- One room, with a minimum of 6 bunk beds to sleep your entire family
- An electric water kettle
- Instant coffee, tea bags, sugar packets, and creamers
- Hand sanitizer
- Assigned portable toilet (near your cabin) and assigned toilet, shower, and faucet for your family in nearby wash-house
- Wifi will be available at several locations on camp grounds, but not in individual cabins
Morrell House (located in Junior Camp). Built in 2015. $5000 / week for 4 people. Cots available for up to two additional family members. Each additional family member age 5 and older is $500.
- Two bedroom, one bathroom, kitchenette
- Queen bed and two singles (families provide their own linens, pillows, etc)
Win’s House (located “up the hill”). Built in 1910. Home of founder Edwin “Doc Win” Fauver, and home to Tom and Betsy Reed for 55 years. $5000 / week for 4 people. Cots available for up to two additional family members. Each additional family member age 5 and older is $500.
- Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, refrigerator
- King bed and double bed (families provide their own linens, pillows, etc)
WHAT WE’LL REQUIRE FROM YOU PRIOR TO ARRIVAL
- Registration/reservation of cabin
- Payment in full via credit card, debit card, or eCheck
- Completed health questionnaire (one per family)
- Completed waiver
- COVID-19 test within one week of arrival. Recommended: PCR (nasal swab)
HEALTH & SAFETY
The health and safety of our guests and staff are our absolute topmost priority. Every aspect of our planning and scheduling is designed to allow for social distancing in a relaxed, spacious, and beautiful natural setting. Our rigorous protocols and arrangements will involve:
- A Registered Nurse resident in our Health Center throughout your stay
- All guests will fill out a health questionnaire prior to arrival
- Health checks for all guests upon arrival
- Daily health checks for all staff residing off campus
- All cabins pre-cleaned and sanitized, and vacant for one week between occupancies
- Hand sanitizer available in each cabin and throughout camp
- Private portable toilets for each cabin that does not have its own indoor plumbing
- Family-assigned shower stalls, toilets, and faucets in wash houses
- Family-assigned picnic tables outside and tables in the mess hall
- Frequent cleaning and disinfection of frequently-touched surfaces in common areas
- Pemi’s policy is for families to wear masks indoors when physical distancing may be a challenge
- We love dogs, but for the safety and happiness of the Family Camp community, we ask that you leave Fido at home! Thank you for your understanding.
- Biking (bring your own for local trips)
- Swimming—lifeguard on duty at specified hours
- Basketball (by family unit)
- Beach Volleyball (by family unit)
- Mountain trips
- Nature, including elected staffed walkabouts and programs
- Special open-air edition of Bean Soup (depending on talent and interest)
- Overnight at Pemi Hill Shelter by special arrangement (sleeping bags required)
FOOD & DINING
- Tom Ciglar’s homemade breads
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner included—al fresco when possible.
- Boxed lunches available for eating at Flat Rock, Pine Forest, or on a hike
- Continental breakfast may be available in cabins on select days
- Assigned, distanced tables for each family, both outdoors and indoors
- Dorm-size refrigerator or cooler and electric kettle in every cabin
- Pemi will provide instant coffee, tea, sweetener, and UHT creamer in your cabin
WHAT TO BRING
- Clothing and swimwear for 6 days, for temperatures between 50 and 85 degrees F.
(i.e shirts, pants, shorts, hats, undergarments, socks, shoes, etc.)
- All toiletries, medications, etc.
- Supplemental hand sanitizer
- Masks for your whole family
- Linens (sheets and blankets for twin beds, unless otherwise indicated given your housing choice). Sleeping bag, if preferred. Nights can be chilly!
- Towels for showering and for the beach
- Flashlight/headlamp (It gets dark!)
- Mosquito nets (or they’ll be available if needed at the camp store)
As with our regular camper sessions, a substantial portion of Pemi’s expenses will be incurred prior to participants’ arrival. The following policies assure, at a challenging time, that Pemi is here to serve our campers for many summers to come.
- Bookings canceled at least 45 days before the start of the stay will receive a full refund
- Bookings canceled at least 30 days before the start of the stay will receive a 50% refund
- If a family member develops symptoms of COVID-19 prior to arrival, thank you for cancelling your reservation—we will refund your family’s payment in full
- In the event that Founders Club Family Camp itself is cancelled or closed by mandate of local, state, or federal authorities, you may request a prorated refund for each of the days you were not able to attend. E.g., closure prior to your arrival = 100 % refund; closure after 1 week of a 2-week reservation = 50% refund