The Program. The Setting. The History
Pemi West is a 3.5-week wilderness skills and leadership program that provides a challenging and rewarding experience for 16 – 17 year old campers, both men and women.
Deer Hill Expeditions
Starting in 2019, we began a partnership with Deer Hill Expeditions, a Wilderness Adventure, Community Service and Cultural Exchange outfitter in Mancos, CO to provide a unique outdoor leadership experience. As a premier outfitter providing outdoor opportunities in the Southwest United States, Deer Hill’s mission closely resembles ours and we are thrilled with the immediate results of the program.
- Begins and ends at Pemi in New Hampshire.
- An adventure with Pemi friends in the Southwest US
- Certification in Wilderness First Aid (great for college applications!)
- A week canoeing on the San Juan River
- A week service project, documented hours of community service
- A week backpacking and mountaineering in the San Juan Mountains
- Including a 24-hour solo
- Leadership training
We offer you the opportunity to:
- Have fun with new friends
- Acquire the skills and knowledge to safely plan, lead, and enjoy an outdoor trip of moderate length through rugged mountainous terrain
- Develop a heightened appreciation of the natural world and a sense of stewardship of the environment
- Enhance your awareness of your personal capabilities and potential.
Participants who wish to extend their leadership training are invited to apply for an optional 2-week Counselor Apprentice Program held at Camp Pemigewassett, Wentworth, NH. For information on the 2-week internship, please email Kenny.
Pemi West is the western branch of Camp Pemigewassett, a summer camp in Wentworth, New Hampshire for boys aged 8-15 years old. The camp was founded in 1908 and throughout its long history activities such as hiking, camping, and nature studies have been mainstays of the program, just as they are at Pemi West today. Pemi West was founded in 1997 by Fred and Jon Fauver, grandchildren of one of the founders of Camp Pemigewassett and current owners, out of the desire to provide an extensive and challenging wilderness experience for teenage girls and boys.
For the first seven seasons, Pemi West was held in the Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness of the Colorado Rockies. In 2005, the program moved to Olympic National Park in the state of Washington. This spectacular setting offered a unique opportunity to explore the gem of forest and mountain wildernesses of the Pacific Northwest, as well as the opportunity to learn a broad set of technical mountaineering skills as we cross the vast glaciers of Mt. Olympus on the attempt to reach the summit.